Wednesday, September 12, 2018

Chasing Enchantment

Chasing Enchantment

Two trips to Grand Marais this summer. And two hikes exploring the forest floor.  I am always delighted by the quiet, miniature world just waiting for someone to stop and admire it.
I really do wonder what this is.  High up on the side of a birch tree.
A birch with a curl.

And of course the lichen.  I just love lichen.
These reminded me of clouds or waves, something pleasant.
And then something not so pleasant.  Looking at a rotting tree trunk but thinking barfing frog.
A home for some small creature?  Either actual or mythical.  
And a scene fit for any self-respecting hobbit.
Dancing mushrooms?  Whatever they are, they look like they are enjoying themselves.
A case of safety in numbers.  Or one guy with a good idea and them a bunch of hangers on. 
Mushrooms and lichen and moss.  Triple whammy of enchantment.
It takes of village.... of little magical creatures to inhabit this mossy hillside.
Curious how we see faces in the weirdest places.  Eye, nose, mouth and a little attitude, if I can be quite honest.
Drapery of wood and fungus.  
I call this one Snail King.  Maybe a stretch, but photographer's privilege.
Can you imagine an ogre turned to tree roots?  Clawing his way out of the earth.  Best to move along quickly.
While focusing on this stump, I saw the red squirrel posing on top for me.  Thanks, little buddy.
Another stump?  Or an enchanted castle that's seen better days.
Getting along.
In a snit.
Coral in the forest.  Who knew?
Taking a moment to enjoy the bigger scene.
And then right back to the minuscule.  
Everybody lean!
It's incredible. A little world on the stump of a tree.

And then I emerge from the woods, leaving a little bit of my heart among the lichen and moss and mushrooms.  Until next year.  

No comments:

Post a Comment