Wednesday, September 17, 2014

A Slow Day for Bees

There is so much activity in the garden these days.  The crows fight the hawk above my head.  Extremely noisy, but very compelling.  I just can't see from my earthbound perspective why the crows need to chase the hawk.  But I'm sure they have their reasons.  And it makes for good theater.  I have a hummingbird, finally, who comes to the window boxes once the sun warms the flowers.  He just can't seem to get his beak into the feeder though, but I will keep it on offer during their migration south.  Then there are the chipmunks who love to gather the overflow from the bird feeders.  I must admit I pour a little on the ground for them.  Then sit and watch them fill their pouches until they look like they will burst.  But this morning the most interesting creatures I found to photograph were the bees.  Not because they were particularly beautiful today, but because they were cold.  And couldn't move fast.  So it gave me time to frame my shot before they were out of the shot.



Well, almost.



If researchers wanted to find out if flowers could talk, this guy seems like a promising subject.



In your head do you hear, Heigh-ho, heigh-ho, it's off to work I go?
If you didn't, you do now.  Sorry.







Hey, I think your trunk is full.  Time to head back to wherever it is you head back to and dump that stuff.  


I love these windflowers.  Last year they didn't come back and I was going to buy more this spring.  I forgot to, but it seems the garden took care of it for me. 
Garden enchantment comes through again.



1 comment: