Tuesday, September 23, 2014

The First of Autumn

This morning before I started on that last flower bed, the one that had escaped my transplant shovel and critical eye all summer, I walked around the garden looking to see what was still flowering.  It's officially autumn, but the leaves aren't turning yet, so I needed to find some last gasps of summer still hanging on the vine.  As usual my little enchanted garden did not disappoint me.



The ornamental onions are done, but the seed pods make a good show.  And maybe when winter comes, they will make a good meal for someone.


This little flower waved me over, so I just had to take its pic.


The driftwood seems to be rushing the season a bit.  Hey, it's not winter yet.  Wake up!


The giant chartreuse barberry is loaded with orangey-red flowers.  I had to hang my head upside down to get them photographed.  I guess they're shy.



The hydrangea tree is dripping in blooms.  They start out greenish-white and slowly change to rose.  So you can see, fall really is upon us.


This little succulent surrounded by a wire vine just draws me in.  You are getting sleepy. . . . 



There was a touch of natural sunlight on this blossom.  So I knelt down where I wouldn't get between the flower and the sun.  Glad I did.

And then my garden's gift for the day.  


The garden did distract me for a bit, but I finally got to that one last spot.  Now the plants can relax.  But I'm already thinking about ideas for next year. . . .  

No comments:

Post a Comment