Saturday, September 6, 2014

By request, The Vicarious Garden

If you follow my blog, my journey through the seasons, you might have noticed that there hasn't been any new activity around here lately.  Instead of posting photos of the garden this summer, I seem to have kept gardening.  The weather was perfect on so many days that I took advantage of it and kept on digging, weeding, planting.  By the time August came to a close I had removed the rest of the grass in my yard, cleaned up quite a few of the overgrown areas, and created some new gardens that should be stunning next year.  A good friend and follower of Urban Enchantment asked me to post photos of the garden areas.  
So here it goes, by request, for Kathy.

This is the new front yard.  The garden with the birdbath is new.  Just a few weeks old.  It is planted with herbs.  Very promising, I think.

The new chairs and the table we made of birch logs and New York blue stone.  Very relaxing place to sit and sip iced tea.

View from new garden to the pond and Fudwick's house.

I cleaned up the paths to the pond and to Fudwick's place.  It was totally overgrown and looks a lot tidier and much more inviting.

A little humor never hurt anyone.  Do I detect the hint of a smirk?

View coming into the front gate looking toward the pond.  
(The pond is covered in floating plants.  If you can't see water, it's not you.)

The hydrangea tree.  Pretty incredible.  It was the starting point of this entire gardening venture many years ago.

The front hill that I love so much had become overgrown.  The wonderful stone outcroppings were hidden under tons of plants.  So I got in there and reclaimed some territory.  









The boulevard garden certainly did its part feeding the butterflies and bees. 




Lots was also happening in the backyard.  The last of the grass was removed and gardens were expanded.  And thanks to the generous gift of this incredible piece of driftwood from Pamela, a magical memorial garden was created for Joyce and Roger, Pamela's parents and the people who wrestled the thing out of Lake Superior 50 years ago.








This little driftwood fence felt like it built itself.  I'm amazed that it has stayed together with no addition of twine, wire, screws.  Just the driftwood.  (Does that tall guy on the left seem to be morphing into some sort of dragon?  I'll need to keep a watch on him.)

 
And this little guy seems a bit pleased with himself. 


Other side of the backyard.  A shade garden with a path through it.  A very peaceful spot.


View of shade garden from back door. 

 
Everybody loves a garden bench.  The squirrels love to sit there and open up the black walnuts.  They leave quite a mess.  Just walnut shells.  Could be worse I guess.


And now for a bit of garden enchantment.  If you will venture to go down this magical path, you just might come out at a very peaceful and very lovely farm.  












It's been quite a wonderful summer.  Hope you enjoyed traveling through it with me for a bit.



























No comments:

Post a Comment