Friday, July 19, 2013

Finally, a Beautiful, Usable Evening

It's been so very hot and humid for the past few days.  Going out into the garden in the evening has not been pleasant.  Unfortunate, since the plants are out there in all their splendor with no one around to appreciate them.  So this evening, a gorgeous one with a light breeze and much drier air, I headed out to see what the garden has been up to.  
I got an eyeful!


Although I just read in my dragonfly book that dragonflies cannot hear, I guess no one told the dragonflies!  Every time I see one and call to it, it circles around and lands.  It's a lot of fun, but now a great mystery.  Maybe I just smell good.


The water in the pond is so warm.  Like a bath.  Since the fish are cold-blooded, they are as warm as the water.  And totally crazed.  When I'm out weeding in the garden, I can hear large, juicy slurping sounds as they attack and devour the roots of the floating plants.  And then with little fishy tummies full, they chase.  


Last year, very late in the gardening season, I discovered ornamental oregano for the first time.  I just had to have it, so I bought a bedraggled, mostly dead plant.  The last one they had.  Needless to say it didn't do much.  But this year is different.  The early bird gets the ornamental oregano.  So enchanted with its little violet flowers peeking out on the sides.  Unusual.  Beautiful.  And this year, thriving.




Dunno.  But I like it.


The queen's crown for the fairy ball.  







Some things are worth waiting for.  And all the more appreciated for the wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment